Daily Archives: November 7, 2012
This post is brought to you via April (aka Peacefulwife), who does her usual great job of reminding us where our Hope comes from. Thank you, April!
Originally posted on Peacefulwife's Blog:
Let’s just look at Romans through chapter 8. There are obviously thousands of other promises and things that God says about us in the Bible. But here are some of the most basic and foundational tenets of Scripture upon which we may build our lives, hope and faith with confidence. It is time to tear out all that is ungodly in our thinking and build on the foundation of Christ and His Word alone. HERE is my hope! THIS is my identity! THIS is my strength! HERE is my power and purpose in life!
- I am a sinner in desperate need of the gift of Christ. I cannot earn favor with God. I can’t be good enough. My efforts at being good are THOUSANDS OF MILES off target. There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one. Romans 3:11-12 For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. Romans 3:23
- God is interested in my FAITH in what Jesus did for me. That is the only thing that makes me right with Him. When a man works, his wages are not credited to him as a gift, but as an obligation. However, to the man who does not work but trusts God who justifies the wicked, his faith is credited as righteousness. Romans 4:4-5
- Jesus paid my sin debt in full. I owed Him billions of “dollars” that I could never pay. The words, “it was credited to him (Abraham)” were written not for him alone, but also for us, to whom God will credit righteousness – for us who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead. He was delivered over to death for our sins and was raised to life for our justification. Romans 4:23-25
- I have peace with God! I have access to grace! ME!?!?!?!?! Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. Romans 5:1-2
- When I hated God, Jesus died for me. How much more will He do for me now that I love Him and serve Him as Lord!?!? For if, when we were God’s enemies, we were reconciled to Him through the death of His Son, how much more, having been reconciled, shall we be saved through His life? Not only is this so, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have no received reconciliation (with God). Romans 5:10-11
- Jesus alone has the power to make me right with God. I can trust Him. He is God, He is not a man that He should lie. When God is satisfied with what Jesus did on my behalf, who on earth am I to question if Jesus’ blood was adequate to cover my sin? Am I above God? For just as through the disobedience of the one man (Adam) the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man (Jesus) the many will be made righteous. Romans 5:19
- I am dead to sin when I am living for Christ and trusting Him for my salvation. We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? Or don’t you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? Romans 6:2-3 Count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Romans 6:11
- I am not a slave to sin anymore. I am a slave to righteousness! I am FREE from the power of sin and death! Now I am a slave to Jesus. He is my Master. Our old self was crucified with Him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin – because anyone who has died has been freed from sin. Romans 6:6-7 Sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace. Romans 6:14 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Romans 6:18
- God desires me to live for Him and bear fruit for Him, fruit that will last. God has beautiful purposes for me – to bring Him great glory and praise! So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to Another, to Him Who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.
- I am not condemned by God! Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law (salvation by my own efforts) was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so He condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. Romans 8:1-4
- I can have supernatural life and peace! Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind of the sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those controlled by the sinful nature cannot please God. You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature, but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ. Romans 8:5-9
- I am a daughter of the King of kings and Lord of lords! I have no reason to fear! I am a co-heir with Christ! For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by Him we cry, “Abba, (Daddy).” … Now if we are children, then we are heirs – heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ. Romans 8:15-17
- There are great rewards coming in heaven for me that will make the suffering of this life look like nothing! I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us. Romans 8:18
- I am not in this alone, I have a strong Helper. The Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express…. the Spirit intercedes for the saints (those who love Christ) in accordance with God’s will. Romans 8:26-27
- I cannot lose! I will be victorious regardless of past, current or future circumstances or suffering! God purposes to make me be more and more like Christ. God knew me from the beginning of time. He called me by name. He made me right with Himself through Jesus. He will glorify me one day in heaven. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose. For those God foreknew He also predestined to be conformed to the likeness of His Son… and those He predestined, He also called; and those He called, He also justified; those He justified, He also glorified. What, then, shall we say in response to this? If God is for us, who can be against us? He Who did not spare His own Son, but gave Him up for us all – how will He not also, along with Him, graciously give us all things? Romans 8:28-32
- I am accepted. I will never be abandoned. I am safe and secure in my Lord’s love! Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?… No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:35,37-39