Today’s Frugal Friday offering is probably the easiest recipe I have ever used to make the most delicious and moist cake ever. My daughter told me about it a few years back and I admit I was skeptical. But you absolutely need to make this to see what I mean by moist.
It takes two—yes, only two—ingredients. And without anything more said, here it is!
DIET SODA CAKE
1 package of cake mix, any flavor
1 12-ounce can of diet soda, any flavor
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together the dry cake mix with the can of diet soda. You can use a mixer but I simply use a wire whisk.
- Pour batter into a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Bake at 350° according to the cake mix package directions.
- Cool completely on a wire rack.
- If serving right after it is completely cooled, frost entire cake with whipped topping.
- Frost each individual slice with a large dollop of whipped topping.
- Dust the entire cake with confectioners’ sugar.
- Frost this cake with canned frosting or homemade frosting of your choice.
- Do NOT include the eggs, oil and water indicated on the cake mix box. Only add the diet soda to the dry mix. Period.
- There are so many flavor combinations you can make. When I make a light cake such as white, yellow or spice, I add a can of Diet Sprite or Diet 7-Up. I’ve made a chocolate-cherry version of this by adding a can of Diet Cherry Coke to chocolate cake
- This cake freezes very well. Since I make it sometimes just for Rick and me, I’ll serve it for dessert the same night I’ve made it. Then the next morning I cut the remainder into slices and place the individual slices into plastic storage containers with tightly sealing lids. Whenever the mood strikes, I pull out two slices just before dinner and place them on individual dessert plates to thaw while we’re eating our dinner. I reseal the storage container and it goes back into the freezer for next time
For a clean printable copy, click here.